- Full Time
- Paid Traineeship Opportunity
- In the heart of Acland Street, St Kilda
- Fashion and Health Focused Optical Practice
- Positive Team Culture and Nurturing Environment
An exciting opportunity exists for you to further develop our career in the retail and optical space. Be trained in all facets of optical dispensing to a diverse group of patients and customers in a fashion and health focused optical practice.
ABOUT ST KILDA EYECARE
St Kilda Eyecare is a boutique optometry practice in the heart of Acland Street that provides quality eye care to the local community with a fashion forward focus. We have provided our patients with access to state-of-the-art optical equipment, personalised care and quality fashion eyewear for over 30 years. We are a close-knit team who work hard and have fun along the way, and are now looking to expand our team of 7 with a new Trainee Optical Dispenser.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Take the next step in your career journey through our training and development opportunity. As a Trainee Optical Dispenser you will be equipped with all the tools to assist patients through their eyewear journey, focusing on helping them to maintain their most precious sense – their sight - while being comfortable and looking great in the process.
The successful candidate will receive traineeship wages whilst undertaking the Traineeship. The educational component is a 2-year program at RMIT undertaken while working in the practice with the future opportunity to join the team as a full-time permanent Optical Dispenser at the conclusion of your training.
You'll need to be highly organised, methodical and always ready to go the extra mile. It's this commitment to service that's enabled us to grow. So, hitting the ground running, you'll immediately be an asset to our store team and lead from the front.
The successful candidate will be required to perform the following tasks
- Offering technical and fashion advice on the suitability of optical frames and lenses
- Interpreting optical prescriptions
- Operating computerised spectacle lens edging equipment
- Merchandising of optical frames and accessories
- Resolving customer concerns
- Reception and clerical duties
- Liaising with Medicare and health insurance funds
- Effectively develop rapport with customers to assist in achieving the right outcome
The successful candidate will have the following
- Successful completion of VCE (or equivalent) with a pass in a science or mathematics-based subject highlighting their mathematical aptitude
- Energetic, bubbly and vibrant personality
- Good people skills and exposure to customer service in a retail environment, retail experience is a prerequisite for this position
- Highly computer literate and an ability to quickly attain competency in IT systems
- An interest in fashion and healthcare
- Takes initiative, is punctual and reliable
- Time management skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work cohesively within a team
- High standard of smart casual personal presentation and grooming
- One year of optical experience or a strong specialty retail background, preferred
- Available to work on weekends
- Willingness to attend full day training sessions
- Willingness to travel to RMIT
If this sounds like you, please apply with a cover letter and current CV. In your cover letter please demonstrate your genuine interest in the optical industry, how your previous education and work experience will be beneficial in this position and address at least five of the required criteria specified above.
We appreciate you taking time to apply for this position. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted within a 3-week period. Applications close on 9th August.